Saturday 18 August 2012

Belgium

The first trip we took outside of England was to Belgium over Memorial day weekend. When Steven said he wanted to go to Belgium first I was like "Belgium!? What? Why not Paris?" Belgium and Paris are basically the same distance from our house. But as soon as we got there I could see why he wanted to go, it was amazing!

We drove two hours to Dover and took a ferry over to France and from there we drove to Brugge, Belgium. When the ferry left dover we had the most amazing view of the white cliffs. It was very windy though, so don't laugh at my hair...



Ah, no make-up and crazy hair...

When we got to Belgium we parked the car and didn't use it again. We either walked or road bicycles the whole time, it was so nice. Somehow I got the forecast for the weekend completely wrong. I thought it was going to be cold and it was HOT. So my wonderful husband bought me some warm weather clothes, since I had only packed cold weather clothes (from now on I will be packing back up clothes). Also, because it was so hot and there is no air conditioning in Europe we slept with the windows open. In the middle of the night Steven woke up covered in mosquito bites, I only had one. I guess he tastes better than I do, I felt really bad for him. 

There was so much history in this small town it was so beautiful. In the two and a half days we were there we managed to consume 3 Belgium waffles, each! We always got ours with strawberries and vanilla ice cream. They were to die for! 

Mmm.. Delicious.


Here was our gorgeous view from our table.



We got to take a boat tour of the city also, which was wonderful.


This is my favorite picture from our trip, in front of the beautiful clock tour in the center of town.


Remember when I said it was hot but we packed clothes for cold weather? Well after we had already got back to England I realized we left our leather jackets in the wardrobe in the hotel. I was definitely freaking out. But after month and a hundred dollars worth of long distance calling later we finally got our jackets back in the mail. 

We had a few hiccups but all in all it was a wonderful and memorable trip. 




No comments:

Post a Comment